Women’s Health + Continence
A pelvic floor physiotherapist has specialized training in the evaluation and treatment of the pelvic floor region in both men and women. Pelvic floor physiotherapy addresses the unique musculoskeletal dysfunctions of the pelvic region that can have a significant impact on quality of life. It is recommended for a wide range of pelvic floor disorders that are seldom discussed and frequently, sadly, just put up with. The goal of treatment is to decrease your pain, reduce and even eliminate pelvic dysfunction and thus improve the quality of your life!
Common dysfunctions treated are:
- Urinary incontinence (both men and women)
- Constipation and bowel dysfunction
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pregnancy and post-partum pain and dysfunction
- Diastasis recti and core rehabilitation
- Scar tissue and adhesion release post-surgery (including cesarean section, hysterectomy, laparoscopy, abdominal repair and cosmetic surgery)
- Pelvic and genital pain
- Dyspareunia (painful intercourse)
- Interstitial cystitis
- Post-prostatectomy pelvic floor rehabilitation
- Pudendal neuralgia
- Sacroiliac dysfunction
- Piriformis syndrome
- Low back pain
WELL MAMA Post-Partum Visit with Michelle:
A Well Mama Visit is an in-depth assessment and treatment specifically for new mothers that will identify any dysfunctions and provide treatment recommendations as needed. The goal is not only to ensure the most optimal recovery from childbirth but to also help prevent long term dysfunction from unresolved problems.
Your Well Mama visit can address:
- Pelvic floor muscle and core identification and retraining
- Education on how to and when to return to physical activity safely
- Rehabilitating the separation of abdominal wall muscles
- Scar tissue (C-section, tears and episiotomy) mobilization
- Prevention and/or management of incontinence or prolapse
- Bowel and bladder retraining
- Decreasing low back pain, pelvic pain and/or painful intercourse
When to make your Well Mama visit?
It is generally recommended to have your visit about 6-8 weeks post-partum (after your OBGYN check up).
Why do we need Well Mama visits?
Our bodies undergo tremendous changes during pregnancy and birth (both vaginal and cesarean section) that can impact the pelvic floor muscles and connective tissues. These changes can often cause pain or dysfunction during pregnancy or after delivery (postpartum). Research shows that after labour and birth (both vaginal and cesarean births):
More than 50% of women have a separation of their abdominal muscles (diastasis recti/’mummy tummy’). This may be a cause of low back pain, pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. More than 1/3 of new mums experience urinary incontinence. Many women experience pelvic floor muscle injury even after a normal pregnancy and birth.
The good news is that these are treatable conditions and a pelvic floor physiotherapist can help!
What is it?
A Well Mama visit is an in-depth assessment and treatment specifically for new moms that will identify any dysfunctions and provide treatment recommendations as needed. The goal is not only to ensure the most optimal recovery from childbirth but to also prevent long term dysfunction from unresolved problems.
What to expect:
A 30-minute appointment beginning with an interview to gain information about your pregnancy and birth history as well as how you are recovering from your delivery. An assessment will follow where the physiotherapist will evaluate your posture, pelvis, abdominal and pelvic floor muscles and scar tissue (if applicable). The visit will conclude with an explanation of the findings and recommendations for treatment if necessary.